Dates of Scheduled Rides National Meet

There are 6 rides listed on the Northern Thunder Meet site. It states that the rides will leave at 9 am each morning however there are no dates listed for each ride. Isn't the rally July 19-22. How could 6 rides even be possible?

<h3>Daily Guided Rides – Kickstands up at 9:30 each morning</h3>

Tunnel of Trees: Very scenic ride along Lake Michigan from Harbor Springs to Cross Village. This is one of the most scenic rides in the Great Lakes Region.

To the Bridge and Back: This ride will meander up to the Straits of Mackinac. Riders will have the option to stay, explore, and shop in historic Mackinac City or continue the ride across the Mackinaw Bridge and on to Sault St Marie to see the shipping locks and other local attractions.

Sunrise Side: Travel along the national scenic highway, ride along Lake Huron, and see monuments to the lumberjacks of the past in Michigan’s under appreciated Sunrise Side.

Upper Peninsula (Friday only): This longer ride will leave at 8:00AM and will ride to sites that could include: Tahquamenon Falls, Soo Locks in Sault St Marie and Lake Superior.

Sleeping Bear Dunes: With over public 100,000 votes, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore was named the “Most Beautiful Place in America” on ABC’s Good Morning America.

Ocqueoc Falls:  Ocqueoc Falls is the largest waterfall in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula and the only universally-accessible waterfall in the United States. At this site you can take a swim in the falls! Bring your swim suit and a sense of adventure for this rare treat.

The rides will be on Friday and Saturday.  You have the option to choose the ride in which you wish to participate.  These are day long rides.

Thursday is usually an arrival and registration day to the event, but some of these rides will be available, depending on the number of riders.

I hope this answers your question.

I have just finished the ride schedule and it should be posted soon. Peddler is correct. The quick and dirty is that some people will be drifting in on Wed. This is set-up day and if you show up then, be prepared to help with set up and decorations. Thursday will be self-guided rides, but the Michigan folks might be doing some informal rides for meals and other fun. So you will probably be able to tag along on some of these. The guided rides will be on Friday and Saturday. Each day has several options to choose from. Each day there will be one all-day ride, a couple of rides the last 4-6  hours, and a couple of ride that are short and sweet. Rally goers can choose which one to go on or go off on their own. The hard part is how to choose one from the five options you have each day. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply's. Being a Michigan Native I have been to several of the places listed but not on a motorcycle. My husband and I are coming up from Charlotte, NC and he has never been to any of the places listed being he is a native of NC. Guess we will have to figure out what rides we can do! Excited about Meeting some new friends and having some new adventures! TTWFO!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Newbie.... welcome to the world of VMC rallies... You will love them. At our meets there are no signups for rides. There will be designated staging areas for the rides. Ask event staff for the location of staging for the ride you want and then get there early so you will have your spot and listen to the ride leaders instructions (and follow them) and have a nice safe ride. This allows people to change their minds at the last minute, but you should have an idea of the rides you want to do so that you can plan, but if you change your mind at the last minute that is okay too.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, ZNess-XC-073 said:

Newbie question ..... this will be my first rally.

is there a signup requirement for the various rides?

First come first served?

Show up and go?

Thanks and hope to see everyone there!

Mike

Mike

My first time with a group also. I have been to all these places on my bike. If you want maybe we can hook up, get a small group. I know some nice back roads up the west side off the beaten path to the bridge stop for breakfast along the way. Cross the bridge to St. ignace.  Then come back down the east side. Am old school, map.    Biz

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

It is a first come first served on the rides. We took off the Sleeping Bear Dunes ride as a sponsored ride because we already had two long rides. But I'm hoping that we will do this one informally on Friday. If you are interested see me for more details when you get here. Some of the rides repeat. So for instance, if you want to do the Tunnel of Trees ride (A Michigan Classic), you can do that on either Friday or Saturday to free up the other day for a different ride. All the rides are great. Some are long (Tahquamenon Falls and M-22 Mini-Iron butt ride) but you will see some awesome scenery. Some are medium rides (Oqueoc Falls, Sunrise Side, etc) but they will take you through Pure Michigan Woods and Waters. Finally some are short (Woodland Mystery, Mackinac City tour) and meant to be easy going and giving you a taste of Northern Michigan without wearing you out.  

But if you want to get a small group and head out on your own, just ask me or any Michigan VMC member and we will  map out some great rides to get you where you want to go, tell you the Must-See spots, and suggest some good eateries along the way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Was looking forward to the Sleeping Bear/M22 ride in the NE part of lower Michigan myself. Mini Iron Butt takes this all in but my butt is no longer made of iron and even a 'mini' may be too much for me. :classic_biggrin:  May have to improvise as 2_shoes suggests.