EYROYS

V2V general info

Looking to participate in at least one leg next year. Isn't there a separate website with general info on preparations like costs and daily itinerary? Basically want to get a head start on what preparations I need to make to the bike and or myself.

• Like 1

If you look at the V2V's from prior years you should be able to get an idea of what happens.  Each year the leg captains decide on the actual route to be used.  There isn't a lot of US 40 left out west here, the guys (and gals) that set the routes out west here do a GREAT job of finding some AMAZING "detours"!!!😎

Edited by Bearcat
  • Like 2

Next year we go East to West

Leg Date Start Point End Point
1 6/22/2019 Staten Island, NY Frederick, MD        
2 6/23/2019 Frederick, MD Uniontown, PA
3 6/24/2019 Uniontown, PA Columbus, OH
4 6/25/2019 Columbus, OH Indianapolis, IN
5 6/26/2019 Indianapolis, IN St. Louis, MO
6 6/27/2019 St. Louis, MO Kansas, City
7 6/28/2019 Kansas City, MO Wilson, KS
8 6/29/2019 Wilson, KS Denver, CO
9 6/30/2019 Denver, CO Craig, CO
10 7/1/2019 Craig, CO Salt Lake, Ut
11 7/2/2019 Salt Lake, UT Ely, NV
12 7/3/2019 Ely, NV Reno
13 7/4/2019 Reno  San Francisco

We do not have all of the Leg Captains yet, they will pick the hotel and route, where possible we try to get hotels in the $90-$110 range, and Comfort Inn is the hotel chain we have a discount with but it varies by location. The Leg Captains will get a room block and the info will be posted on the forum. Be glad to answer any questions you may have. - Gene

• Like 3

The cost on hotels goes UP every year, and availability gets tougher every year, where possible I have tried to use Comfort Inn, HOWEVER, in the great Rocky Mountain Region (basically Denver to Ely Nevada for our purposes), it is VERY PRIME SEASON (their regular rates are about 70% higher that there "normal" rates!!!), and Comfort Inn has been less than willing to give the V2V group a "killer deal" on rates when they are typically sold out anyway. OK, so what this means to you is, if you are planning on ridding any of the legs from Denver-West, (and you absolutely should!) budget around $150 a night for your room, if you can talk a buddy into coming along with you, (and you should bring at least 1) that breaks down to about $75 a night per bed, (we can usually get double queen rooms if we know in advance). Most of the hotels we try to "block" offer some form of a breakfast, either included in the cost of your room, or for about $15 including tip.

You will burn thru about 1 and a half tanks per day of gas, currently we are in the $3.65 range for gas in "the mountain towns". I am sure it will be closer to $4.35/ $4.65 per gallon by next summer, budget $35 a day for fuel and you will have enough to maybe even have a bottle or 2 of water or Gatorade, you will need that, because it's usually pretty warm, (like in mid 90's or higher), lots of water really helps stop altitude sickness, so plan on at least double what you would normally consume, and don't worry, we are old too, "P" stops are usually not an issue!, 1 tip is, every day, buy a bottle of water and your favorite flavored Gatorade/Powerade, cut it 50/50 with water, and you will be thankful for the electrolytes and the water, (and for having 2 x's the fluids available).

An oil and filter change before you leave the house, tires that will "easily" go "twice as far" as "you think you are going to ride", (don't leave the house on tires that you can "get one more ride out of"!), 1) you can't, 2) you won't be near a dealership when the guy riding behind you starts telling you what kewel colored chords your tires have, 3)you are going to spend a chunk of fun tokens renting a truck and trailer and buying Walmart tie downs, to get your bike to the nearest dealer, who "thinks he may have a tire that fits, (he doesn't), but his mechanic can't get to it for "a while", don't be THAT guy!, flats happen, mechanical's happen, bald tires should never happen!

Although it never rains on the V2V, bring decent rain gear, it has been known to "sprinkle" once in a while, (isn't that right Gene?) another reason to have decent tires, mountain roads are no fun on bowling balls, and really miserable on worn out bowling balls in the rain/fog.

Dinner each evening is typically around $20, adult beverages, the same, (your mileage may vary!). you will not regret riding  a few legs of the V2V, great company, top class experience, and while I can't vouch for riding across Kansas and Eastern Colorado, the next 3 days of the V2V in 2019 are a motorcyclists dream!.

Finally, don't forget, you are riding away from home, as much as you don't want to, ya gotta home sooner or later, so a few extra hotels, meals, gas and miles, most of all JUST DO IT! I think if you plan $225 a day after you leave the house until you get back home, you may have enough to buy your leg captains a refreshing beverage, and, should arrive home with a little seed money for 2020, and what will be probably a few of the best days riding you have ever had!, a ton of new friends, who you will want to ride with again.

• Like 4

The V2V is a great experience, You get to see a lot of this wonderful country of ours.  The legs going across Kansas and Eastern Colorado do not have the curvy roads like the mountains but there are great views of wide open plains and the terrain changes from agriculture, to prairie, to hi plains, and then to the foot hills leading to the mountains.

I recommend that every body try a few legs of the V2V.  Come see this country,  meet some new friends,  get some good riding in,  and make some memories.

Dirty Twin's overview of the expenses is a reasonable and safe plan for your budget.   Hope you join us on the 2019 V2V. 

• Like 2

All,

I just bought this photo of Wendover, Utah, c.1925 which I thought was of interest to us and especially all those involved with the V2V, so wished to share with you.

Wendover, Utah, c1925.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey Lowell,  Do you know what hotel they are staying in the St Lois area? Diane and I may ride out there with you and then back to KC.

I"ll have all the hotel info and leg forums established soon, waiting for final couple of hotels details. - Gene

Edited by gene hunt
  • Like 1

The wife and I are planning to ride some of the western legs again this year.  Waiting to see where the hotels will be...😎

Tomnkc.  thanks for the interest in V2V,  at this time this is what I know.

The leg 5 Captain has contacted me and ,  he is working on the hotels for his legs.   Looking at a different hotel in the same vicinity as last year.   When the final decision is made he will let Gene know so it can be posted.   Also as soon as I know I will let you and Diane know and I will make a posting of my intended route.