Proposal to Article IX Dissolution

Posted (edited)

Section IX   – Dissolution

Subsection    no subsection

Name: Dissolution

Discussion:  Kyle Petty Children’s Charities name change

Date:

Certified:

MOTION PURPOSE: The purpose of this motion is to correct the name of the suggested charity to the current name, Victory Junction.

MOTION SPECIFICS: This Club may be dissolved in accordance with law.  Any assets remaining after payment of costs and expenses of the dissolution proceedings, payment of debts, obligations and liabilities of the Club shall be distributed to the Kyle Petty Children’s Charities  Victory Junction. 

FINANCIAL IMPACT:  None

Edited by Pushstart

My understanding from yesterday's BoD meeting was that we would push this out to the membership to ask if anyone wished to propose alternative charities.  Did I misunderstand?  Wheels for Warriors was one suggestion.

3 hours ago, Llama said:

My understanding from yesterday's BoD meeting was that we would push this out to the membership to ask if anyone wished to propose alternative charities.  Did I misunderstand?  Wheels for Warriors was one suggestion.

Initially when it was in the P&P I had it in with a P&P discussion and was asked to do 2 separate motions on it. It was going to be a vote last night to just narrow down the name to one of Kyle's charities that was actually functional so as not to cause any misunderstanding upon dissolution..... but that didn't happen. A new charity was suggested and now it has turned into what appears to be headed in the direction of a ton of more work to search for another charity.

Since we are supposed to be an International club is giving members monies from Canada/Luxembourg etc to a US based charity going to be ok with folks outside of the US? And please don't get me wrong, I realise the importance of what Vets give to a country, I donate monthly to the W4W cause, as I believe strongly in the program.

We have had the same charity since the beginning when Kyle Petty was made a lifetime member for some reason. There are a few things to think about.......If we do a vote on it and most of our members are in the US...... If you want to take it on Mark? I know I don't have the time for it, not sure what Viv's position is as she's the one posting the proposal for discussion.

My understanding from the BoD discussions is that a question will be put out to the members advising that the Board is considering making a change to the "charity of choice" and asking for suggestions.  My thoughts are to leave that out there for two weeks, then take the top 3 suggestions and put them to a membership vote.  The winner of the vote would become the charity noted in the bylaws.

• Like 1

another avenue that has now to be explored is how this all ties in to Robert's Rules - I am pretty sure that the funds can only be donated to another non-profit organisation as well

I appreciate the passion that has been displayed in this thread in less than 24 hrs.  However, this thread's purpose is for the bylaw committee to propose amendments.  From here, they will post to Boardroom discussions.  From those discussions, hopefully, a motion poll will form.  Some ideas make it to poll, and some don't!

There must be a misunderstanding of what MY intention is for this proposal!

I am not trying to change the charity.  I am simply trying to update the name of the charity the founding fathers of the Club named.  

A charity would only be needed if this world wide Club would dissolve.  

There is a proposed motion to amend VMC Local Chapter Standards for Formation/Operation.  It is in discussion now, will move to poll soon. That P&P suggests that each local chapter chooses a charity of their choice.  Discussion led to confusion that Victory Junction was THE recommended charity and no other charity should be supported by a local chapter.  During that discussion, changing to a different charity was not mentioned.

the Bylaws and the P&P must not contradict each other!  If you change one, it may need to change the other one also.  So, if you all feel strongly that The VMC will dissolve, then go ahead, make your polls to choose a different charity to support upon dissolving.  When that's completed, advise the committee and a proposed motion will be put to discussion.  

One more consideration.  I am not legal council!  But somewhere along the line, there is consideration for needs to our charter and the certificate of incorporation.  

I think that it may make sense at this point to just correct the name of the charity to its current form.  Opening up to changing the charity will be a process that may not be that easy because I am not sure there is any consensus and there are so many charities that may be proposed that picking the top three may not really be meaningful if there is only 5 members making the charity to be in the top 3.

With the VMC's current resources, I think there are other items the Policies and Procedures Committee can address.

The PPC members are doing a great job, but changing policies and procedures takes a lot of effort and time.

THANK YOU!

Jim

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2020 at 5:24 AM, jkoshar said:

I think that it may make sense at this point to just correct the name of the charity to its current form.  Opening up to changing the charity will be a process that may not be that easy because I am not sure there is any consensus and there are so many charities that may be proposed that picking the top three may not really be meaningful if there is only 5 members making the charity to be in the top 3.

With the VMC's current resources, I think there are other items the Policies and Procedures Committee can address.

The PPC members are doing a great job, but changing policies and procedures takes a lot of effort and time.

THANK YOU!

Jim

Agree with all you said Jim.  I also agree with what Candi stated.  It seems I have ruffled a few feathers.  That was not my intention, simply to reflect what was briefly discussed during the Board of Directors meeting...otherwise what’s the point of having the discussion.  Someone (apologies, I forget who) suggested W4W and I suggested “why not involved the General membership and throw it out to them for any other ideas” and my recollection is that there was agreement to do that.  With regards international members, I think that is a complete red herring.  Providing we are not supporting some American political issue or etc., but a genuine charity helping those less fortunate than ourselves, I am quite confident that no international member would have any problem.  In any case, they would get their equal chance to comment if they so wish.  Of course we could correct the charity recipient now and then change it again later if the membership chooses another charity, if that is an efficient way forward.  And with that I will shut up to save wasting more of my time and inadvertently upsetting people.  Back to my mini break away.

Edited by Llama
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I view 'ruffled feathers" as a wake-up call.  Discussion and voicing different opinions are necessary to make any organization grow.  I have always thought this Club is diverse with its members, and just one of the reasons I choose to participate on the BoD and a local chapter.

I agree, it was briefly discussed at the end of the BoD meeting, W4W was mentioned as well as polling the general membership.  If someone other than me would like to take on that responsibility, go for it.  I will support that campaign.  I choose to use my volunteer time on other projects as a member of the P&P and bylaw committee, as well as a RR.  The P&P committee has several more projects to complete, we are just getting started.  Although I am not the one spending countless hours typing and posting information on the newly updated Bylaws and P&P drop down.  I know for a fact, there are many, many hours involved with what has been accomplished to date.  See the 'ruffled feathers' again?

Members of the P&P/Bylaws committee have discussed and searched and begged for more current and updated/certified copies of the P&P's.  Many hours have been donated to this campaign recently, and in the past.  Prior P&P committees seemed to be struggle to find more than one active member.  The current P&P committee has three, and I am proud of their accomplishments.  Several of these documents have not been discussed or reviewed by a committee or BoD for years.  It is time

All of that said, hopefully read with a kind heart.  I would like to pass the name update in the Bylaws as soon as possible.  If the LC P&P passes, and it looks favorable at this writing, the name should be changed in the Bylaws to agree.  If a different charity to donate to upon VMC dissolution, is chosen at a later date, I am confident that the charity name can easily be amended at that time.  

Edited by Pushstart
  • Like 1

Viv, please be in NO DOUBT that I am extremely grateful for the incredible amount of time, dedication and effort you, Candi and Amanda are putting into all of this.  You are updating and improving things which will enable us all to move forward with optimism and in a manner which is legal and efficient. THANK YOU.  I would go so far as to say your efforts are "AWESOME" , and as a Brit I seldom use that over-used word!  I suspect that many of the members are unaware of the amount of time the three of you are putting into all this very necessary work.

You are, of course, absolutely correct that this subject was only briefly mentioned at the end of the meeting, but as we all know this was due to time constraints.  As you will remember, I didn't even have chance to speak!  If I have caused any disturbance or upset through mentioning what was discussed at the meeting (as a couple of replies seemed to have suggested I did), I apologise.  My intention was simply to remind what was discussed and, I thought, agreed - to involve the membership and at least ask if everyone is content with the current charity or if they wish to propose an alternative.  Of course I would have no objection to updating this now and then changing it again later - I simply didn't want it to be forgotten what was agreed at the meeting.  

Thank you again, most sincerely.

As the two of you wrote that someone should step forward regarding the Club’s chosen charity if we wish to take forward the discussion, however brief, at the last BoD meeting, I guess I should volunteer to do so, unless someone more expert than me wishes to do so.

As raised at the BoD meeting, the suggestion was not to have a poll, at least initially, but simply to offer the membership an opportunity to be part of the discussion.  There may well be little interest, but unless we put it out there we won’t know, and perhaps some members will have great suggestions.  Unless anyone else offers to take this up I will do so.
I will have to do some reading up with regards the current chosen charity as I know nothing about it, and having just returned home from a few days away it may take me a couple of days before I catch up.

In the meantime of course I would support your proposal to update the name of the current charity in order to keep us legal.  

• Like 2