Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyG

Website Changes Needed for E-Meetings

Instead of counting votes or logins, We can create a page that comes up when ever a member logs in. I am picturing the process to look something like this. Please note that this is broad and missing a lot of detail.

1. Special Meeting called by the President
  2. Emails and PM's sent to all members.  The email/PM lets them know the dates for the meeting and outlines the proposed bylaws changes.
  3. LC's are instructed to print out and discuss the meeting announcement. They are instructed to tell their members to individually login to the website. (Maybe a computer is brought to the meeting.)
  4. Members login to the forum and are presented with a page that gives them details about the meeting.
  5. They would have to click a check box to verify that they agree that they are "present at the meeting."
  6. When they click Agree, they are brought to the discussion where they will be able to comment.

Once the meeting is started, everyone would see the new meeting page the first time they visit the site.  The system would log their visit.

The same process would be followed for the vote meeting.

Thoughts or suggestions?

-G

JohnnyG - 2013-11-18 9:02 AM

Instead of counting votes or logins, We can create a page that comes up when ever a member logs in. I am picturing the process to look something like this. Please note that this is broad and missing a lot of detail.

2. Emails and PM's sent to all members.  The email/PM lets them know the dates for the meeting and outlines the proposed bylaws changes.
  3. LC's are instructed to print out and discuss the meeting announcement. They are instructed to tell their members to individually login to the website. (Maybe a computer is brought to the meeting.)
  4. Members login to the forum and are presented with a page that gives them details about the meeting.
  5. They would have to click a check box to verify that they agree that they are "present at the meeting."
  6. When they click Agree, they are brought to the discussion where they will be able to comment.

Once the meeting is started, everyone would see the new meeting page the first time they visit the site.  The system would log their visit.

Thoughts or suggestions?

-G

Great start, John.

JohnnyG - 2013-11-18 9:02 AM

Thoughts or suggestions?

-G

Only voting members... and, we need to get this Associate member class straightened out... within that class there are voting and non-voting members, etc., etc.      

And "where" the meeting is to take place.  

How would it be possible to get all those LC members logged on to one computer?     

Hopefully, it would "track" and "record" their "presence" at the meeting, for future reference and verification... we'll need the "numbers." 

Good points Burl.

This brings to mind another page that would be needed. We will need an offer accessible announcement content page. This would be the page that the member see's when they login. Come to think of it, it could also be used for things other than meeting....

I would need you to define track and record, but I am sure we can do that as well.

-G

I thought it would be a good idea to add this to the thread for future reference.  This is taken from the attorney's letter to us dated Nov 18, 2013 regarding Delaware law as it relates to electronic meetings:

You inquire whether there are standard for electronic communication.  Bylaw Section 1.09(f) addresses Internet Board meetings but not electronic member meetings.  Section 211(a)(2) of the Delaware General Corporation Law, as made applicable to nonstock corporations by Section 215(a),  provides: 

If authorized by the board of directors in its sole discretion, and subject to such guidelines and procedures as the board of directors may adopt, members and proxyholders not physically present at a meeting of members may, by means of remote communication:

a. Participate in a meeting of members; and

b. Be deemed present in person and vote at a meeting of members, whether such meeting is to be held at a designated place or solely by means of remote communication, provided that (i) the corporation shall implement reasonable measures to verify that each person deemed present and permitted to vote at the meeting by means of remote communication is a memberr or proxyholder, (ii) the corporation shall implement reasonable measures to provide such members and proxyholders a reasonable opportunity to participate in the meeting and to vote on matters submitted to the members, including an opportunity to read or hear the proceedings of the meeting substantially concurrently with such proceedings, and (iii) if any member or proxyholder votes or takes other action at the meeting by means of remote communication, a record of such vote or other action shall be maintained by the corporation. 

JohnnyG - 2013-11-18 11:02 AM

Thoughts or suggestions?

-G

How do we get the word out to those folks that do not have internet access or email?

I keep the paper applications for 1 year then they get shredded.

I also get checks in the mail with no renewal application.

I also get cash, believe it or not, with a name on a post-it.

I'm with Burl, Mike and the Prez on this ... IF ... we can come up with a more friendly email platform.

John, can our email platform be brought into Outlook?

The "Broadcast a Message" capability has been updated to include a Full Members selection and is now available to the Officers. I will likely change that selection to Voting Members which will include Full and Charter members.

This system can send a PM and/or an email. And when you send a PM, the system sends a email notification with the PM text in it.

I don't believe that this system honors the opt-out selection in the control panel, if it does, we can change that.

I think all we can do is what would be considered reasonable to do. That being said, I am open to anything you want to do. This is just a step that needed to be taken.

John

Another update. We changed Full Members to Voting Members. It includes all classes of membership that votes except associate.

Discussion Required? Not sure. But every live meeting that followed Roberts Rules did it the same.

Thanks Burl!  

Just for the sake of completeness, I thought it would be a good idea to put the whole e-mail in here as well:

"I think this process works.  But this is not bylaw language.  I have added language to the revised bylaws I am working on that is more general, and would allow the nitty gritty details to be changed, so long as the meeting complies with the rules set forth in the bylaws.  Based on my discussions with John Genovese, review of the forums and the below I think that your process sounds as though it is compliant with the legal requirements of the Delaware law applicable to voting by nonprofit corporations." 

Marla H. Norton, Esquire
BAYARD

(302) 429-4214 

Sign in to follow this