2015 National and future Nationals...Dates...

golfer

golfer - 2013-10-02 11:04 PM

I would like to vote that the National never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever again take place in July.

:doh

Someone please enlighten me as to when the PERFECT dates are for a National Meet.  It should be easy, right?  Just pick a date, but keep in mind:

* Don't conflict with AVR

* Don't conflict with Sturgis

* Don't conflict with V2V

* Don't conflict with Southeast Rally, Tennessee Rally, Meet in the Middle, Little Sturgis, Etc., etc., etc.............

* Don't conflict with major holidays (i.e. 4th of July, Labor Day, etc.)

* Oh, and Mid-Summer is too hot for some to come from the South

* But Spring and Fall are too cold for some to travel from the North

* Some want September, while for many with kids, school is in session by this point

I'm sure everyone has THEIR perfect date in mind.  Then, by all means, put the work in, develop a proposal, and hold it on YOUR perfect date.  If I can make it, I'll be there.  And if I can't, I will certainly not complain to the world from behind my keyboard about how the date sucks.........

Dates need to have the flexibility to vary based on the location the meet is held. The hosts have to work around local events as well as business related events at the hotel/resort of choice. Perhaps if we had hosts and locations lined up two or three years out we would be the event others would have to work around but that has not been and is not the case. Besides, it doesn't matter what week it is, someone will bitch about it.

All that has to be done is look at the existing event dates (regional as well out of respect) and select an open weekend. There are quite a few weekends in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Fortunately, the 2015 National is the week before the Great Lakes Rally (Li'l Sturgis) next year. Had National been announced for the last weekend in July, I have to say I'd be a little miffed.

a) I wouldn't have the chance to attend National because of the my commitment to Li'l Sturgis

b) it would very likely have an affect on the Li'l Sturgis attendance.

July is typically a month devoted to many events. Both mc and non. End of August early sept gets away from the busiest month of the year for many people. Has not the national been August almost every year pretty much? I know many people got used to that, and now it is an issue. Of course no one will ever be always happy. But really, ask 100 people what month is busiest for events in life and July wins. And July is hot as fuck. What about people riding from hot places? Nothing to do about 14, but I sure hope the date gets back to later in the year. And please keep the location moving around, you put it in one place and ruin it for people that like to ride. Am I not equally able to voice my opinion for disliking July as people are to endorse it? Kettle, meet black.

Oh, and by the way...There is no conflict for me to go in July. I am voicing for many others that are too skewered to get flamed.

Even if you count June, there is only 13 weekends that are really available for a National Meet. Before or after that the weather just gets too unpredictable for most of the northern states. Take away four weekends for AVR, V2V and Sturgis (2), and you are down to nine. There are likely to be six regional meets during that time (SE in May and SW in Feb) which takes it down to three potentially open weekends. Now add in things like Meet in the Middle, Lil Sturgis, Laconia, etc, etc, etc. This doesn't even include all the local benefit rides that go on each year, or even local chapter rides. The truth of the matter is you just can't make it to every single meet or ride that is scheduled. Can't physically be done. You have to plan what to do and where you want to go. If the National happens to be too far away or conflict with something else you just have to say oh well, maybe next time. 

Saying it should be on the same date could eliminate the possibility of ever making a National for some because of work commitments or family. (Have you ever coached baseball?)

Saying it should be in the same place would put a huge burden on a limited number of people year after year. You can do a lot by phone and via the internet but feet on the ground at the venue area is pretty much a must. Nothing beats face to face with the people you are working with and depending on to make the event a success. 

If the Nation meet truly is "The Corner Stone" of all the meets, then set the week of the year in stone for every year. Everybody else then works around that date.

Why are those other events so successful, because they are stable have set dates and people can plan years in advance.

One of the requirements of a LC hosting could be that they can do it that particular weekend.

If the National had a standing week-end, the regional events could then work around that one.

Seems like the cart is before the horse.

You got to forget about trying to please everybody.

Just my non board member thoughts.

I personally could care less which month, date, etc. Just going to be a bummer we will miss the 2014 meet in NY. Just a tad to far for the little bride and I to ride that. Wish you all fun and safe riding. Maybe 2015 if it's somewhere in the middle of the country to the west coast.

No matter how you slice it - there are always going to be those that want the National Meet to be handled the way they want it handled. They will not step and DO anything - they will simply complain. The bottom line is - you will NEVER please everyone.

Having the National held someplace different is what is so great about it. At some point - everyone should get the opportunity to attend. If you choose to bypass the National to do something else...then so be it.

As has already been pointed out, a permanent date for an event that travels will limit who can host it. That wouldn't be a good thing.

The dates will be whatever works for the LC hosting. If you want a specific date during a particular year - submit your proposal to host it. It's as simple as that!

Donna is right on the money. If the VMC is going to continue with the current model of moving the National Rally each year to a different host chapter, then it has to be up to that chapter to work out the dates that work best for them. If the dates and location do not work for any individual then they can choose not to attend. I had to make that decision for the last two Nationals. The dates did not work for Arkansas and the time off work was too great for Idaho. This year I can make it.

However, there may be something to setting a permanent time and location for the National that everyone can count on year after year. But where/when is that going to be and who is willing to take on the planning and running of such an event year after year?

Hello all! I have been reading this thread and a lot of good points have been made!

The facts are this......As of January 1 there were no proposals for the Events committee to review for the National Meet! Not one group had anything on the table for review for 2014! I contacted several groups that were thinking about hosting the national and spoke to the people and tried to get something going. The NY LC stepped up and put a proposal together for 2014. There were 2 other groups interested in hosting the National and after talking to them they then planned to present a proposal for 2015.

We will now have 2 or 3 proposals for 2015 and only one can get the OK. That should make it easy to plan for 2016 and 2017, and I bet that someone will complain about the dates that are selected for all of those. You can't please every ones!

Our National is once a year in a different location! If you want to go then give up something else! I have been to 1 National, Sturgis 1 time, Daytona 6 times, SE Rally 0 times, Regional meets 3 and Laconia 44 time ( I live an hour away) I chose to do Sturgis and the AVR this year because that was my goal. I have now met that goal to attend all 3 major motorcycle events Laconia, Daytona and Sturgis in one year, and will most likely never go back to Sturgis. I couldn't hit This years National because of time and money! I made a choice! If any of you that have an issue with were and when the National is held then put a proposal together and submit it to the Events Committee. We welcome your efforts!

the national should be a set date with changing locations. the national should be the most attended event. fixing the date allows all others to plan around the national date. national should be mid aug to early sep. please set a date and always make it that date. changing the dates for our number one event is stupid. the most successful events are always the same date. sturgis, daytona, etc...i just shake my head at thinking a changing date is a good idea for our paramount event.

I think its pretty obvious from the lively discussion regarding the likes and dislikes of the chosen date for 2014 that setting a date would be just as unfair to some folks as changing the date is or has been to others.  Neither do I believe that a set location would be good either.  By rotating the location and dates, it will allow everyone -- at some point in time -- to be able to attend a National event.

there will never not be a national. if there is ever a lack of someone or an lc stepping up to host i will do it. you may not like the way i do it, but it will happen. so that is not a problem, and did not get lost on me. having a national can be as simple as stating a location and a date. go or dont go but there it is. i think the nationals are way too fucking organized personally, but if people want to saddle themselves with that much work more power to them.

again, set a date, change locations, and problem solved. and gunchef, if you cant ever go because of the dates too fucking bad. if your job is such an asshole you cant get a day off every other year i feel bad for you. my aim is not to make the date good for me, i am retired and can make any date. my aim is to make the date the best for the club. and many of you fucktards dont get it.. what is best for the club is what is best. and i guarantee you a set date gets more attendance, avnd doesnt fuck up local events either. and that is what is best for the club. get it?

Wow. I feel so attacked. And I feel like I should shower.

Sorry - I like the flexible dates. I like the travelling location. It allows for a wider, not necessarily larger, participation. It allows for a chance to see someplace new as a guest to those who know the area well. No, I won't know the exact dates every year. No, I won't know the exact location every year. Until it's announced. I think that's part of the charm (this year is not being used as an example as it's my understanding this years circumstances are not the norm). And yes, there will be years that I'm prevented from going for one conflicting reason or another. That's life. I'm willing to bet (and I live in Vegas) that a set date and set location will still prevent many from attending either some years or all years for one or many reasons as well. There is no perfect solution. Instead - there is a solution that maintains variety, flexibility for those that take on the project and a sense of expectation and joy when the 'who/what/where/when' is announced to those wishing to attend and are able to.

I understand the National to be for the masses. The many. Not the same over and over and over and over. I only see a few with a hard set desire to contain the National Meet in a box. Yes, they're vocal. But I only see a few. And sorry, I don't buy that others that feel the same are too 'scared' to speak up.

Now, you may disagree with me and you are free to. You will not hurt my feelings if you don't think or see things as I do. I won't call you a fool, a jerk or any sort of filthy foul word. I won't disparage you or your person for thinking differently than me. However, when you do choose to disagree with me, I expect you to do so as an adult with some education and courtesy. I'll thank you in advance to respond without actual or squiggly swear words.

Ride well my friends.