2017 18th Annual V2V

Greetings All,

I am beginning planning for next year's V2V Run........................got a little experience under my belt this year............so hopefully can improve on this year's run.

Obviously, I need to arrange for the logo artwork. Before I do this, I need some ideas from the group on where we want to commence the run. Should it begin from U.S. Route 40's original terminus in Atlantic City, NJ, or from Boston, MA, or from Chicopee MA, or from somewhere else. Also, need input for leg cities, too!

Please.................Please......................be constructive! Smart asses welcomed....................no whining.

r/Vohn

Hats off to the new webmaster!

Well, we've been hosting either the kickoff or the finish for a few years now and I don't think there've been any complaints. Thinking on whether or not the site should be moved to Boston or another major city, I think it makes for more complications relative to lodging, etc. plus if it ENDS in Boston on July 4 it would be a real real real clusterf_ck because Boston is insane with people on the 4th. I'm not sure about Atlantic City, but I think it might be the same thing - plus, is there even a chapter in that area? Arnold and I have no problem continuing if need be. I just think wherever is chosen should be away from major city activity.

I always thought it would be a great idea to have a 2 day meet at the start, middle and end of the V2V. Assuming an east coast start, the folks in the Northeast and Southeast parts of the US and Canada would coordinate legs that would put them at the designated meeting spot (let’s say Virginia) for a 2 day party. Then the event would move west as normal. When it got to the middle of the country, there would be another 2 day event for the folks coming from the North Central and South Central parts of the US and Canada. They too would coordinate legs that would put them at the designated spot at the right time. The same thing would happen on the west coast. There would be a lot of moving parts to pull this off, but it would get the whole country involved in the event.

-G

We are going east to west this year. I don't have an issue with the same route we have using for awhile. If there is a change to start in Atlantic City that will have a major ripple effect on the rest of the legs since that first day you could easily go farther than Frederick, which is the end of the 2nd day, not the 1st day, based on the route for the last 3 years. I signed up to take legs 2 (Stroudsburg to Frederick), 3 (Frederick to Uniontown), and 4(Uniontown to Zanesville) if we are going to change things it would be good to know now. I would also ask that members with opinions please indicate if you plan to participate. - Gene

Gene.....................I am just soliciting opinions.....................! Changing the route, at this point,

seems unlikely since I have told Arnold to plan on starting in Mass. However, I will say that starting it up north..................just about guarantees no Southern participation! I would like to hope that everyone would like to participate.

Vohn

I'd just like to point out that right after the Holidays would be a good time to try and settle on Hotels, which also means agreeing on the routes and legs. I'm not making any suggestions this year for any changes, last year I stepped into a hornets nest doing that. But I would say that some of those who had an opinion did not even participate in the ride. Anyway I will be glad to take the 2 legs I took last year, in revers order, as well as the leg from Uniontown to Zanesville, that will be 3 days of vacation which is all I am able to contribute. Just need to know to get Hotels lined up. - Gene

Rode my first V2V this past summer. Really enjoyed meeting V2V veterans the few rookies like me. I hope to ride again next year. I did captain a couple of legs with great rider participation assistance. With this little bit of experience, I'd like to suggest leg hotels used, whenever possible, be those hotel chains that offer the VMC hotel discounts. If a particular hotel chain(s) are approached at the corporate level, MAYBE a discount larger than the normal VMC discount could be secured. A difficulty with this is putting the burden of contacting corporate on a single person as well as not knowing how many rooms will be required at each leg hotel. Historical info would have to be used for this info. I know some legs had only a handful of riders while other legs had 20-30 riders. Also, there is some tradition with some leg cities that people may not want to see changed. A hotel may not want to offer a discount for 5 riders but corporate may see the bigger picture of their hotels being used for the entire ride. I also understand that cost is a factor and that chain hotels may be more costly. But if hotels that offer free breakfast are used, that's an expense saver. Also, if riders are members of that specific hotel chain points club, they accumulate points and possibly coupons for future travel. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

The location of the end points to some extent dictate available hotels. Also any Leg I captain I want the hotel to be close to food and adult beverages, within walking distance.

Last year I got a great rate in Uniontown at the Park Inn for us, this hotel was previously a HI, and it has the amenities on site. But only only 2 of us stayed there. I also got us a great rate in Frederick at the Comfort Inn but to be honest I did not like the hotel and plan to try a different one this year.

I appreciate the cost issue and will work hard to get the best discount. I know the areas well on my legs, I go over to SE Ohio several times a year on one of the Ducati's or the SC to ride the great roads, so I know the available hotels in Zanesville. The Comfort Inn has a strange reservation procedure for groups but it is a decent hotel, the HI Express and the Fairfield Inn are a little better but the rate also reflects that. When I go over I stay at either the HI Express or Fairfield.

I've heard that people just want a decent place to lay their head, but I've also heard that people want to stay in the same quality hotel they would stay on there won trips. I try to balance the two and for sure I want a decent breakfast before we hit the road.

I think the leg captains may be in a better position to secure the best hotel for their legs than trying to do it across the entire route. Just my $.02 - Gene

The logo for the 18th Annual V2V is underway and should be ready soon. Iplan to make the announcement mid january. For those that were leg captains last year and plan to be one this year...............thanks. Go ahead make your plans and announce when you see fit. The only difference between this year and 2017 is the logo and the direction the V2V goes.

For captains, who want to change beggining/end cities for individual legs, please contact me.

R/Vohn

Thanks Vohn. Ride begins on 6/21 and ends on 7/4. I had agreed to take

Leg 2 - Stroudsburg, PA to Frederick, MD, 6/22

Leg 3 - Frederick, MD to Uniontown, PA, 6/23

Leg 4 - Uniontown, PA to Zanesville, OH, 6/24

I'll get busy planning those legs/routes on those dates.

Cheers - Gene

I've been busy with hotels, I don't have the one in Frederick worked out yet. For Uniontown I got us a great rate with Breakfast at the same Hotel as last year, the Park Inn, $89, on 6/23. It really is a nice hotel since they took it over from Holiday Inn, all amenities on site which is nice at the end of the days ride.

I could not get rooms in Zanesville but I got us a great rate at the Comfort Inn in Pickerington, $99, which is also right down the road from the American Motorcycle Association Headquarters, where there is wonderful museum, I'm going to plan for a visit to the museum and also a diversion loop on this route on some great roads in the Hills just south of the National Road.

- Gene

Hello to all. My name is Jimmie Johnson (wife Deborah)we live in Birmingham,AL and are new to the Victory scene. The last 10 years we've been riding an 1800 Goldwing and in 2011 we road the coast to coast ride with the GWRRA "40 to Phoenix". Decided to try something different for a change we bought a Victory Vision: two months later sold the goldwing. Been riding for 45 or so years, married for 42, ordained minister for 18, two children, 8 grands, law abiding citizen, semi-retired, easy to get alone, like to ride. I'm a registered member with the VMC #12762 and would like to know if we could join in with the 2017 v2v ride to San Francisco in June-July? We only have 18 days to use total so if the answer is yes...I would need to see all the layover points to determine the best leg to meet up with the group. If ST.Louis is a layover point that may work well, need to see the date of arrival. This note is to Gene Hunt and all organizers of the 2017 v2v ride. Thank you for your consideration. AKA TopCat. e-mail tojimndeb@att.net....cell 205-356-3321

TopCat.....If you look at the 2016 info on this site you'll find the cities stopped at going west to east. This year it goes east to west but for the most part will travel a similar route as last year's but instead going east to west. This should help you plan how far west you'll ride. The ride will end on 4 July, probably in the Bay Area. If I recall, there are about 13-14 legs, each leg being a day if it follows last year's format. I rode my first V2V last year and enjoyed it. Met great people.

My apologies to Vohn Busby for not recognizing the chairmanship the first time I posted, (an oversight). Thanks to all who replied. I will stay tuned to all info and follow accordingly. Will plan on meeting the group in St. Louis at the end of leg 6(looks like june 26 but will check to make sure) and going all the way to San Francisco. Thanks again Vohn for welcoming us.

Given the current state of affairs, it might be nice to consider 1) Dropping the 106, since many have 92, 100 motors 2)Going back to our roots with our official colors White/black like the club patch - just a suggestion no matter what you do it will be okay with me. - Gene

Club members,

Listed are the dates for the 2017 VMC (excel doesn't translate on this forum.) As you can see, 5 of the legs have leg captains, so I am in search of 9 more. If you have the time and desire, please volunteer to be a leg captain. If you choose to be a leg captain, and need to adjust arrival/departure cities, please contact me and lets discuss your suggestions. I can be reached at 843 901-3595. I will have the Registration information published to the net tomorrow night.

R/Vohn

LEG Route Date Day Leg Captain

1 Chicopee MA to Stroudsburg PA 6/21/2017 Wednesday Arnold Christensen

2 Stroudsbburg PA to Frederick MD 6/22/2017 Thursday Gene Hunt

3 Frederick MD to Uniontown PA 6/23/2017 Friday Gene Hunt

4 Uniontown PA to Zanesville OH 6/24/2017 Saturday Gene Hunt

5 Zanesville OH to Plainfield IN 6/25/2017 Sunday

6 Plainfield IN to St. Louis MO 6/26/2017 Monday

7 St.Louis MO to Kansas City MO 6/27/2017 Tuesday

8 Kansas City to Wilson KS 6/28/2017 Wednesday

9 Wilson KS to Castle Rock CO 6/29/2017 Thursday

10 Castle Rock to Craig CO 6/30/2017 Friday Nate Guinn

11 Craig CO to Salt Lake/Park City Utah 7/1/2017 Saturday

12 Salt Lake/Park City Utah to Reno/Ely NV 7/2/2017 Sunday  

13 Reno/Ely NV to Carson City NV 7/3/2017 Monday  

14 Carson City NV to San Francisco CA 7/4/2017 Tuesday 230 

I don't know I'm no fashion designer.

I think the club logo that looks like the club patch ought to be on the front whether it looks good on a blue shirt, I'll leave to you on those with more taste than I have. The USA Map like you did last year was kinda cool, putting a route trace on it would also be cool. I looked back at previous 3 years and that was not done. Of course 2015 was the tribute to "Fishy" on the back. - Gene