Sign in to follow this  
TheBucket

Joplin, MO to Des Moines, IA

Taking my first trip over Mem Day weekend. Will be going Mpls to Joplin a the head of the weekend, and back again in two legs at end of weekend.

This is the first of several planned trips this summer:

- June 7 -- Mpls to Laconia, NH

- July 20 -- Mpls to Big Stone Gap, VA

- Aug 8 -- Mpls to Sturgis

Would like some ideas on a scenic ride for my leg from Joplin to Des Moines. Any ideas?

We have a ride planned on the Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend near Des Moines. We will be riding from Des Moines to the Freedom Rock near Greenfield Ia. If you are in the area, let us know. Or keep an eye on the CIVR forum for details.

Check out hwy 69 just west of Des Moines for part of you trip. It's a good 2 lane.

How scenic? 69 and 71 are mostly 4-lane. 71 becomes 2-lane north of St. Joseph, MO and runs through the cornfields. You might consider going east of Joplin to 65. It's a good 2-lane and goes through lots of small towns and countryside. I believe you can follow it all the way to Des Moines. You could jump over to Springfield on I44 to 65, but I wouldn't. I would go north from Joplin to Nevada on 71, go east on 54 to 65. 54 is a nice 2-lane and fairly scenic. El Dorado Springs is 20 miles east of Nevada and has a Victory dealer. They are 1/2 mile south of the 54/32 junction (last light) on 32. A good place to eat is in Collins at the junction of 54 and 13. Take the 13 exit and go back north under the new 13 overpass onto the old road and Smith's Family Restaurant is right there on the left. Continue east on 54. You'll be getting into the Ozarks lake country. You could go on over to Preston and get on 65 there. Better yet, back in El Dorado Springs, go north on 82. It will intersect with 83. Go north on 83 to Warsaw. These are really nice rides. You can also go east on 54 from Collins to Weaubleau and pick up 83 about 5 miles out of Weaubleau. Either way is good riding. I prefer the 82/83 route a little more. Once you get to Warsaw, 83 comes up a hill to old 65. You might want to come up slow in 1st or 2nd gear and roll-stop it. Not much traffic up there usually. Turn north and follow the old road to where it intersects with new 65. Any of the roads from El Dorado Springs to Warsaw are fairly entertaining and cross fingers of Truman Lake. The dam is at Warsaw. Lake Of The Ozarks is east of there if you have the time and want to explore some of the roads, and you can loop back around to 65.

Ronnie