V2V "17" Leg#12 ~ 7.2.16 ~ Uniontown PA to Frederick MD

The hotel for 7/1 is

Park Inn bt Raddison

700 West Main Street

Uniontown, PA 15401

Phone 724-437-2816

Thiis was the Holiday Inn which we have stayed at before, some major renovations have been done by new owners.

We have a room block of 3 King rooms at $95, 7 Doubles at $87 for Victory Motorcycle Club.

There is Restuarant/Bar on site.

We will depart on 7/2 at 8AM, please have full tank. our route will be the Natonal Road (Vuctory Hghway) to Frederick, with jog up to Flight 93 Memorial, to end at Red Horse Comfort Inn.

If you have any questions post them here or send me a PM.

- Gene

Welcome to LEG 12 - Uniontown PA to Frederick MD 7/2/2016. I look forward to leading you on this leg. Sam I plan to ride up and be at the hotel in plenty of time for the official handoff of the Baton. I think it would be great if we did this right at the front of the Hotel with all the riders/bikes. The layout of the hotel is such that after check-in you will park near your rooms so if we can do the hand off and pictures at the front I think that would be best. I will plan to be there between 3-4PM which will probably be before you arrive, I'll just hangout until you all get there.

I think you will find the Hotel very adequate for our needs, bar and food on site. I think they have done a good job with the property since acquiring it from Holiday Inn.

The route I have planned is ~230 Miles and includes a loop to Flight 93 Memorial. I have completed a dry run of the route and roads are in good shape the route is very pleasant and includes both elevations and some nice curves along the way. There are a number of attractions along the way, some we will not stop at but wanted you to be aware of them, especially for those of you that may not be in the area again.

If everyone would please get gas when you arrive or before the next morning, there is a Sheetz just past the Hotel on Rt. 40. There will be a short rider meeting at 8AM on Saturday in front of the hotel with KSU immediately after the riders meeting. Detailed route with gas and lunch stop has been sent to all those that are registered.

- Gene

Posting the results of this leg. The Kingpin and I made a run up to Uniontown on Friday 7/1 to meetup with Leg 11 riders and do the Baton Handoff between Sam and I. Sadly although there were as many as 10 stating they would be riding leg 12 we only had 4 of us, 3 Vohn, Sam, and Pryde who were continuing from leg 11, so had it not been for them, it would have been a lonely ride. Thanks for keeping me company guys on what I think is a great leg. Pics of Arrival and Baton hand off. That last picture wn't go right side up no matter what I do, Sorry Sam. - Gene

On Saturday morning we headed out on this leg following the Old National Road, we left on time in cool temps, no complaints for July it was a nice change. We made our first stop at the Toll House in Addison, PA passing by General Braddock's grave and Fort Necessity. After a brief visit we continued passing over the Youghiogheny River Lake then stopping at the Casselman Bridge.

After a short visit and recycle of some coffee we headed out to Flight 93, looping off the National road to the memorial then back down to the National Road, using some nice roads. Once back on the National road we backtracked 4 miles to Lunch at the Hen House sitting outside on the Veranda/Patio with excellent service from a very lovely young lady. Up to this point the road is marked with Mile Markers shaped like the National Monument, they are painted white and made out of steel, they mark the distance from Cumberland Md to Wheeling WV. After Cumberland, heading east, they change shape and are made of concrete marking the distance of the national road back to Baltimore. - Gene

After lunch we continued east on the National Road, with the road getting a little more interesting, alternating route between Rt. 144 Old National Pike, Scenic 40, Alt. 40 and US 40. Terrain has nice turns and elevation changes. We stopped at the Toll House in LaVale, MD and also the last one just west of Hancock, Md. The Mile markers changed after Cumberland to concrete almost in the shape of a headstone. We rolled into Frederick right around 5PM, stopping to fill up our fuel tanks just before arriving at the hotel. It was a good day with some great riders Thanks guys. - Gene