Sign in to follow this  
HammerBob

Travel Docs(?) for Prescot

A couple of VMCers I had asked about participating in the Arizona run informed me that they were not going in part due to S.B. 1070. I questioned this and could find no ready answers on the net. The fear is that if a person holds a ligitimate California Drivers License, is a citizen of the United States and is of the Mexican race and is pulled over, the person pulled over can be detained until that person proves that he is a citizen through documentation other than a Drivers License.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade, but is there a chance that this could happen while in Arizona? If this is so, what would a person need to carry with him so that he would not be considered an alien? I am not trying to stir anything up, I would like to honestly know.

I found this:

If you believe you are a U.S. citizen, you'll want a document to prove it.

If you were born on U.S. soil and there is a record of your birth, a standard U.S. birth certificate issued by a state government is your primary proof of U.S. citizenship. (Birth certificates issued by hospitals are not official records and do not serve as proof of citizenship.)

If you were naturalized in the United States, you will have a naturalization certificate.

However, if your birth took place outside the territorial United States and you have a right to U.S. citizenship through your parents, you will not have either of these documents. () In this case, you will have to apply for either a U.S. passport or a certificate of citizenship.

This may help...

A person stopped for an immigration check in Arizona is presumed to be lawfully in the U.S. if the person has an Arizona driver’s license or nonoperating i.d. license, a tribal i.d., or an i.d. from the federal government or another state or local government if the other government “requires proof of legal presence in the United States before issuance.”

Any U.S. citizen with a driver’s license from a state that does not require proof of citizenship or immigration status would be at risk unless they obtained and carried a passport when in Arizona.

Guns, Helmets, and Birth Certificates are optional in Arizona unless you are committing a felony. You can, however, committ a felony with or without a helmet. ;)

Naw ... no worries. Besides a judge taking the part of the law out that gave it teeth; there are things the trained LEO would be looking for. Just having an Hispanic accent isn't good enough for cause. The law does not single out Hispanics anyway. You could be from Canada and still need to show a passport or passport card just like we would if we were in Canada or Mexico. But like I said; they aren't really enforcing anything right now except workplace violations in certain areas of Maricopa County where Phoenix is.

If you have a US license, registration, and insurance card you are good to go. Actually just the license is good enough but if there is any question; those other things would simply back it up.

Now, there are those who feel sb 1070 is too harsh, even though it simply mirrors federal law. In fact it isn't even as harsh. That hasn't stopped some Latino groups from boycotting AZ even as the same law is being proposed in CA and a bunch of other states. Your friends may just be boycotting AZ and blaming 1070. I'm boycotting Mexico right now too. Something about being shot dead for being American just doesn't sit right with me. :) JMHO.

I have lived in Tucson Az for over 30 years. Born and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Collage in Las Cruces. I have friends from many walks of life. None of them have had an issue with getting stopped by border patrol or any law enforcement (before or after SB1070 passed, most of which is on hold anyway). Come and enjoy our culture and the many different types of people. You will find Arizonians to be a welcoming group.