Leg 14~ 7/4/2011 ~ Fernley, NV to San Francisco, CA

PATTI

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lizzard & RoadLily, Keep me posted on your plans so we can hook up if you go to Tahoe.

Hwy 80 is all under construction as usual but very passable & so far traffic hasn't been too bad (Between Reno & Truckee.)

Are you gals coming thru Susanville? I'd take 70 at Hallejuca(sp) Junction towards Portola to Sierraville to Truckee. Hwy 89 Gorgeous ride. (That is if you plan on going around the lake. 72 miles )

Let me see what $$$ are & I can meet you along the way! That's my old stomping grounds!

Here's a link to the route from Fernley -- http://tinyurl.com/3k2vqgv We're heading south out of Fernley to Carson City, hit the 395 to the 88. West on the 88 with lunch stop in Jackson. (NOT Freeport now) West from Jackson to Walnut Grove to the 160 along the Delta to Rio Vista. Head over on the 12 and pick up the 80 to the 29 and 37 south of Sonoma. Pick up Hwy 1 and cross the Golden Gate Bridge into SF and the marina where we'll eat, drink and watch the fireworks. 300 miles on the money -- lots of different scenery but we should miss construction and major traffic until we hit the Bay.

Reminder - the lunch stop for Leg 14 will not be in Freeport. It will be in Jackson. I am not sure what time we will be rolling into Jackson but anyone who wants to meet up for lunch on the 4th, this is where we'll be stopping on the way back to SF:

Mel and Faye's Diner

31 Highway 49/88

Jackson California

http://www.melandfayesdiner.com/contact.htm

Wendy & I may just meet up with you folks for part of this leg. The planned route goes right past our place in Dayton. The ride to Jackson is beautiful this time of year and one we like to do.

Carson pass is a real nice twisty ride. :y: :y:  our plan will be to meet up Fernley before 8am and ride to Jackson with you all, have lunch and come back to Dayton. See you Monday morning.

Sorry the SPOT didn't work out for the Final Leg. We thought we turned it on, but in the really bright sunlight it was hard to tell if the lights were blinking or not on the gizmo. We thought they did. In any event, it was a spectacular ride back with just amazing scenery and great company. We did hit some depressive heat and when we finally hit a blast of cool air on Highway 37 in Vallejo it was a welcome feeling.

Thanks to all for coming and riding on the final leg. A special thanks to the Edge, my co-captain and good friend, who charted out a great route for us to ride back on, especially Highway 88. Riding through Eldorado National Forest was amazing. What a feast for the eyes, all the beautiful mountains and lakes we got to see. Mel and Fayes Diner lived up to its reputation for a good lunch in Jackson, and then after some yummy Chinese food back in San Francisco, we had a great time watching the awesome fireworks on the Bay from Donna's boat. I think it is safe to say a good time was had by all.

We had a fun time in Fernley as well though the food at the restaurant left a lot to be desired. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones and we can't wait to see everyone again in Prescott.

What Papi said - loved this route and glad it worked out as well as it did. And we did have a few miles of actual LIncoln Hwy in it. We had an elevation change of about 8000 feet and temperature change of 40 degrees. BTW - next time we go across the Golden Gate Bridge we ask for an IQ check of the person in the toll both. Evidently third grade math isn't a requirement! Until next year...

had a great morning ride all the way from Fernley to Jackson where Wendy & I had to turn around and come back home. good thing too as my clutch cable snapped just as we got back into Carson City, had to run every red light and stop sign but the scoot got us home.

Thank you Jimmy and Aaron for leading a great ride from Fernley to SFO. Loved Hwy 88!! The marina fireworks were awesome. Thanks to Donna for graciously allowing us to view them from her boat.

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. Wish I had snapped a group pic.

Sue and Liz, great both of you were able to join us. Glad you enjoyed this last leg. Hope your ride back was a good one.

Dan - Glad you and Wendy were able to join us. That sucks about your clutch cable. Good thing no one else was running lights the opposite direction you were!