A suggestion for the 2012 Meet

For several years we had the meet over the Labor Day weekend. This provided a three day for many that did not have a bunch of vacation, and all the locals had it easy. Last year, this year, and next year all are falling in early August. Not only do we loose the 3 day weekend, but during August we also have Sturgis, and the AVR. So for 2012; even if we don't do Labor Day. Lets do September instead of August

kevinx - 2010-08-18 9:35 PM

For several years we had the meet over the Labor Day weekend. This provided a three day for many that did not have a bunch of vacation, and all the locals had it easy. Last year, this year, and next year all are falling in early August. Not only do we loose the 3 day weekend, but during August we also have Sturgis, and the AVR. So for 2012; even if we don't do Labor Day. Lets do September instead of August

Kevin,

If having one day, that day being a Monday will help free someone up to go(I don't think it will) I think you will lose just as many as you may gain with kids being back in school or members/spouses that work for schools. I may be wrong, but if we think August is too busy then go to the Fourth of July, the Birthday of Victory Motorcycles and you will get your three days.

Just as a matter of argument, the meet in 2006, the second one, really still an infant event, there was over 100 attendees.  Seemed like everyone I spoke with liked having that extra day to get home and not use up anymore vacation.  If this years event had been on a 3-day weekend, I am sure more could have attended.  July 4th is out, that is, if you want to perpetuate the first national event, the V2V, as it ends on the 4th, and the 4th doesn't guarantee a 3 day weekend.

I know many, myself included have to make choices when it comes to time off and going to an event. Last year I had to choose between National Meet or AVR in August. Last year I did National event, and this year I had to make the same choice. This year due to time, I am doing the AVR. You can arugue that there is never a good time for an event for everyone. You can never make everyone happy no matter when an event will take place, but if the date is consistent, at least people can make their choices early and plan. Summer is a short window for most of the riders in the northern states. Having 3 big events, National Event, Sturgis, AVR all within a 3 week window is tough.

I'm not sure where "several years" came from but since 2007, only in 2008 was it on Labor Day. I was also told Billings was the fifth official National Meet. I'm not sure if that is true but the club is only nine years old so we do not have a lot of historical Meet dates to base this on. If the LC (or group) who is hosting the National Meet wants it on Labor Day they should go for it. I would invite any and all of you to take the time to put your proposal together. You want to complain about what weekend the meet is on? If we had groups lined up vying for the meet then maybe, just maybe you would get the meet on the weekend you want or the weekend you want or maybe even the weekend you want. Fact is three years ago there wasn't even a National Meet until Lobs took it on because no one else would. Then the next year ONE LC from the NW Region put in for it. How many others? NONE Last year ONE LC from the NE Region put in for it. How many others? NONE For next year ONE LC from the SW Region stepped up. How many others? NONE I'm just glad we have had someone step up and take on what to all those who attend is a great three day get together. For those who are spending countless hours working, coordinating, organizing and planning, it is a huge undertaking. Now you want to tell them what weekend they should have their meet on? You have to do your research on available hotels/motels/pricing/availability. Then check what other events are going on across the country as well as locally. Then check with your local people and see what their schedules are so you have people available to help. Then take into consideration that not all areas of the country have 365 days of riding weather. This is not simply a pick a certain weekend and screw everything else kind of a decision. It is a decision that has to be made by the people who are hosting the event. 

According to this thread in the VMC Meet forum the 2007 Meet was August 24th to the 26th. Labor Day was Sept 3rd. Not the same weekend.

http://forums.thevmc.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=36300&posts=3&start=1

The Billings Meet dates were set to coincide with other local events ("The Warm Up" which was subsequently cancelled) and had nothing to do with any thing else.

I will agree that for southern states such as AZ an August meet is going to be murder for us northerners. However a northern meet in September could be disastrous as well with very cool temperatures.

We've gone from 90 to 60 faster than golfer does when the blue and red lights turn on behind him.

I am trying to understand why the 2011 National VMC meet is set in direct conflict to Sturgis? I really think the 2009 meet befitted from being just before Sturgis as many went to the Meet and then to Sturgis. If we attend the VMC Meet, then we have to totally skip Sturgis. Maybe in 2012 a little better planning to work before of after larger events.

The problem I see with Labor Day is the jacked up rates for rooms etc.

I am wondering why we are in such a rush to schedule where, when the next meet is happening. We have a freaking year for crying out loud.....Can't we hash out some ideas and opinions before setting the next years event? This is weird...... :?

Okay, I really don't have a dog in this fight as I am lucky enough to be retired. 

However, how many members have children that are back in school before Labor Day? 

How many work or have a spouse that works for a school system?

Labor Day is considered the unofficial end of summer and thus rates for rooms tend to be considerably higher for the holiday weekend.

I notice that a good many folks wanting the Labor Day weekend don't have kids or they are grown.

I can understand wanting that extra day to get home.  But that would seem to benefit only those within a day's drive.  A person can't make it halfway across the country in one day, unless your name is Golfer.  Of course you save a day of vacation with the holiday tossed in.

I say set a date and those who want to attend will find a way.  Personally I would like the cost to be lower by not having it on a holiday weekend.

fighting0061.gif

Just for the record, we didn't "knee jerk" this venue. It was suggested before we even became a LC. in 2009. Once were up and running as a new LC in Sept. 2009 and the trend seemed to be East then West, etc for the Nationals we started planning to do our proposal in September 2010 for possible selection in October. In June 2010 we approached the Resort only to find out Aug 4-7 was all that was available. This is a busy tourist local. We told the Resort sales guy about our Sept proposal timeline and he said it was no problem. Then he peed backwards on us and said he needed a contract now (July) or the dates will be sold to someone else. Shitty way to do business but we were up against it. We already had a couple months of committee time invested so I called Fire & Ice. The rest he has explained.

There are no other available places outside of the desert (Phoenix/Tucson) which are about 110 to 115 degrees in August. Those cities do probably 80% of Arizonas conventions and tourism. Those bikers, conventions, and tourists come here in the summer. We knew Sturgis was the 2nd weekend in August so we took the only dates we could get. I'm truly sorry some have to travel far to get here. Was Billings or Maine any different. I hear those were great Meets. This one will be as well. It sorta looks like the National Meet should always be in, say, Branson, Mo. to be central for all and polls taken to pick the perfect dates. Like that would happen. Anyway, I hope this clears something up even if its just the rash I'm getting thinking about the meet.

It is Great that we have all these Volenteers to hold the 2012 Meet since all we need is a parking lot and nothing else.

For those who don't know the following is a list of what many refer ot as prior Meets but not all called the MEET.

1st-2002 Desoto,KS Meet in the Middle

2nd-2003 Sprit Lake, IA The start of the AVR

3rd-2004 St. Paul, MN 50th Birthday Party

4th-2005 Farmville, VA !st called the MEET

5th 2006 Eureka Springs, AR

6th 2007 Porterfield, WI

7th-2008 Cherkee, NC

8th 2009 Billings, MT

9th 2010 Gorham, NH

10th will be in Prescott, AZ

I have been to them all and plan on being in Prescott, AZ. If they have been in the summer months the wife is with me and if it is on Labor Day weekend I am solo. If you can make it Great, if not we will see you next year. And I bet that it takes a hell of alot more than finding a parking lot to put one of these events on. A Big Thanks to all of the Members that have put the prior events on.

Tim T...sidecar :qyc

Thanks to Frank and everyone else in the Prescott LC and on the committee. Thanks to Jim for his input from the Meet Committee. Thanks Kevin for getting this thread started and continueing to stick it out as Prez.

The wife and I will be there and have made our reserves at the hotel. The first thing we said was "Arizona in August...are they nuts?" which was immediately followed by "cancell the trip down the coast and make reservations for Prescott". Then I used it as an excuse to finally go buy a trailer and hitch. Excited...o hell no...just like spending time mapping routes 12 months out!!!!

We couldn't swing this years meet on the east coast so.....we didn't go....

To all those who can't make it...we'll miss you...to those who can...see you in August next year:beer :beer :chpr

I like the idea of late-August/early-September, because it tends to correspond with my birthday. However, being a single parent with no local family, I am limited by the kids' school calendar. Since schools in south Georgia start back the first week of August, that pretty much leaves just Labor Day weekend for me (for which Uncle Sam usually gives me 4 days off).

:blah I vote for Eurika Spings Too!.Some people I work with have been there a couple. There is a cool Hotel up on the side of the mountain. I think it is haunted if I remember right. September sure would be cooler than august. But whenever it is, I am like the rest of the working guys. I will just have to try to get the days off.

And I am trying to figure out how to get off long enough to get to Arizona. I am thinking 3 days over three days back, and three days there. I pushed it a little going to Pam Bay, and Rhonda got a little shy on the long trips, but I am working on her now1 :appl