Sign in to follow this  
Bob Deuce

Texas To Canada ride June 2010

All,

I'm seriously thinking about a central Texas to Calgary ride for June 2010.  I would like to get as many members that want to join the ride in-rout, for any distance, to do so.  

If you've not been through western Alberta and eastern BC you haven't seen some of the most beautiful country on the continent.  

My initial plan is to cross the border at northern Idaho because I have a friend with a cabin there. Head northeast through Franks's Slide ( www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/frank.htm) then up to Calgary.  On the return trip, head west from Calgary and cross the mountains(www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7n3LADrksU) to BC. Polar says he'll lead us out of Calgary for a few miles.

My route to Idaho from Texas hasn't been etched in stone yet.  When I get a complete route figured out I'll provide a trip plan. 

The two main reasons for the trip is to meet other VMC members that I would otherwise never meet and  see the best in scenery these two countries have to  offer.

It would be great if 20 or more Vics showed up in Calgary.

Everybody think it over and PM me if you are interested in joining the ride.  I'll try to have the trip plan out as soon as possible so you can see where you are in relation to the route.  Any suggestions on best routes from central Texas to northern Idaho are welcomed.  Keep in mind the number of VMC members on the route, lodging, scenery and services.

Come on everyone! Let's go to Canada!! :chpr :chpr :chpr :chpr

Guest Guest

if it's early June I may be game for this, but late June is my son's birthday(20th) and as much as I love riding family always comes first even with special things like this.

Check out the link Polar sent,

The Ice field Parkway is a 178 mile run between Banff and Jasper in the mountains. Click on the Start the  Journey tab and then Continue the Joinery.  You will come to the first segment map.  click on the red feature dots to get information about the location.  When finished with the first segment select the second from the segment bar at the top. 

This would be a great run if road conditions are right lodging was available at decent price.  Bring some cold weather gear! http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/. 

All, Here's the initial route map and stats for the Texas to Calgary leg. Stats were calculated at an average of 50 mph. Fuel at 135 gallons a tank. Duration at 8 hours riding time per day. I have the Google Earth files for each city to city leg if you want them PM me your e-mail address.

I just did the Canadian Rockies two months ago.  Spectacular!!!  Here's a picture of the ice fields.  I would love to make that trip again.  I thought Jasper National Park was the most beautiful place I've ever been.  It will all depend on scheduling, and I won't know that until we get closer.  Put me down as a tentative. 

Try adding Challis to your route between Idaho falls ID and Missoula MT It is a beautiful ride, much better than the interstate. nice high desert plateau, then a wonderful mountain pass. Should only add an hour or so to the trip.

Let me know how far between rest stops and hotels you like to ride and I'll do a little research here for you. I would suggest booking a place in Banff, Canmore or at least in the west end of Calgary and the next night in Jasper. There are other options as well depending on timeing and of course the budget.

Let me know if I can help at all. I am in Calgary and am quite familiar with the routes here!! I'd be into a ride up to Jasper as well.

Polar and Mikedd,

As we (all that are interested) get closer we would appreciate any input from you guys and any other Canadian members. But what's most important is we get to meet you and/or ride together when we get there.

Thanks!

Just did Border to Border in June, Mexico to Canada. Stay off the freeways..... find those 2 lane roads and stick to them. You will have a lot more fun and a lot less stress. We averaged 350 miles a day for 12 days. Longest day was 605, shortest was 150. Defiantly take a different route home too....

Looking forward to your plans as they develop.

Tim

Guest Guest

I've got to ask since no one else has, what is flying pig in texas???

Comish,

I like the way interest is building here. Would be a pleasure having you along.

I'm looking at a 2003 TC for the ride. Unless, of course, Victory wants to lend me a Cross Roads for the trip. What a promotional opportunity!!!

Looking for sponsors,

What a perfect opportunity to get your name and services out there!!!

Below is the goal of my biannual run. I'd like to call it the "V" MC Ambassador Tour. First leg: central Texas to Calgary and back. 2011 central Texas to Halifax leg. (with the club BOD blessing of course!)

With the V2V and this run we can meet the members only known by their screen name. South can meet North while the V2V takes care of the East/West linkup.

What better way to get the VMC and the motorcycle we've married ourselves to out to the unknown.

A video journal of the trip will be created and copyright can be shared by the club and sponsors.

I wasn't joking when I answered Comish and said that Victory Corp is more than welcomed to lend me a Cross Country for the ride. Hell, with the interest being generated by members wanting to join the ride 8 months before it takes off, Victory could only benefit by lending the entire model line. What better advertisement than their model line going on a 4,000 + endurance run?

It would be great to get as many members involved in this as possible.

It can happen. All we have to do is tip that first domino!!

Aright!

I've been through a box of pencils. Attached is a updated first half of the Texas to Canada. Someone had mentioned my first attempt had quite a bit of Interstate travel. So this attempt is 180 degrees out from that. What I ask those that live in the sections of the states this route passes through if these are reasonable are is there a better way. Keep in mind we want to see the country.

Let me better define the goals I'm trying to achieve here. There are two headings. The Club & Giving Back.

Club:

1) Meet other VMC members.

2) Represent the club the HOTVR Chapter and Victory motorcycles.

3) Get riders along the route involved in the ride.

Giving Back:

1) Solicit sponsors to donate per mile, per rider, per state or any combination of the three to the charities below.

2) Heighten the awareness of those we e meet to think about those who have defended our "2" countries and our way of life.

3) Solicit individuals to contribute the VMC-WIN and a non-profit Veterans and/or Veterans Family support service in their area.

How I propose to do this:

1) First of all "Start"! This is something I'm going to do. Just ironing out the kinks.

2) Get club members excited enough to join in.

3) Get the word out about veterans that are carrying the wounds of war and will for the rest of their lives.

4) The families of these veterans, and the veterans lost, that will be forever changed.

4) If someone wants to donate I request they split their donation with 50% going to a veterans/families support or organization and 50% to the VMC-WIN.

To the VMC officers:

This club is the most compassionate and giving association I've a part of.

The reason the donation is split:

1) We as a club can increase what we do for those who need it.

2) I would like to see a percentage of the VMC-WIN funds received through this effort be pigeon holed for the other Lucas C larks in the world. (The club did an outstanding job for Lucas so it's not like we can't do it again).

3) With half a requested donation coming to WIN we can better track the success of the effort.

Example: I meet John and Jane Smith in Missoula and they want to by donation $20.00. I would ask they send $10.00 to a Ride specific VMC-Win PayPal account or post office box. With the funds coming in to a separate account we can track donations for this effort and multiply by two to get the overall estimate. This would leave the detonator to be responsible for the other half.

4) I would not touch any of the funds unless someone wants to give cash. In that case a responsible person would be designated to handle cash and checks and get them deposited to the VMC-WIN account as soon as possible.

I will have a formal proposal to submit to the board and sponsors by the first of the year. This will allow me time to sorted properly.

Bob - this may be too early to ask, but do you have the actual dates in June nailed down yet?  I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, and will work it into my schedule if possible. 

Let us know when you get things set. Please send a direct e-mail to me. Would love to ride down a bit and meet you. Crowsnest Pass is a beautiful area to ride through. We r from the Calgary area and my husband and I would be interested in getting together. :chpr