National Meet 2010

Fire n Ice

Yeah I know the National Meet for this year just got over but it's time for all regions to think about hosting the National Meet next year. IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY TO START PLANNING!! Local Chapters think about what your area has to offer and why everyone else in the country should come see your area. You may take what is in your area for granted because you have been there and done that but you'd be surprised how appealing those things are to people who have not been there and have not done that. Yeah it's a lot of work but it is also very rewarding to have members from across the country in your town, meeting them and seeing them having a good time. Proposals need to be submitted to the Board of Directors through your Regional Reps by the 15th of October followed by a two week review and voting period. This years Meet had the largest turnout ever and I know next year's will be even bigger. Get your ideas going and get a proposal put together!! 8)

Three years out would be great but there have been years with problems just getting one region to even put in a proposal. Then there is the question of budgetting. The budget for the events isn't even known until the first of the year. Budget could be assumed to be equal to the current year but then may have to reduce it when the final numbers come out that year. Could also get to increase it too. Much preferred option definately. If a region would like to put in a proposal for the 2011 or 2012 years, please feel free to do so.

John, I get the feeling you are trying to get some point across but I just can't quite put my finger on it. 8) Selection is done by the Board of Directors and I have not been involved with that process other than to submit the proposal for this year.

In the Southwest Region, I'd suggest New Mexico--Angel Fire or Taos. There is no LC in New Mexico or Arizona so local organizing might be a challenge. Have any previous national meets been organized remotely, with little or no local VMC membership at the meet location?

I can see where putting together an actual proposal is a rather big deal. As Fire n Ice would tell us, it's a serious commitment.

How about Michigan? We have a large rally in West Branch every July that draws a lot of bikers. It started out as a Harley Event and is now Open to all makes. This area of Michigan is very pretty and good riding country, lots of lakes and good asphalt roads. Weather is nice here in July, hot, but not too hot, lots of lakes and a friendly atmosphere. We are more centrally located than most states making it possible for more to attend.

EAST TENNESSEE!!!

We have the Great Smoky Mountains, Cherokee Forest, The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Hwy 421 (The Snake) Bristol area, The Hellbender (Hwy 28) Western NC area, GREAT lesser known local roads. For the wives they can go to Pigeon Forge and SHOP TILL THEY DROP!!! There are all kinds of lakes to ride around (Fort Loudon, Tellico, Cherokee, Douglas, Norris, Watts Bar, Chickamuaga, etc....) Their are histroical sights within easy riding distance...Cherokee NC if you want to gamble....ALL OF THIS AND MORE WITHIN A DAYS RIDE OF KNOXVILLE!!!! We are centrally located in the US so most people can get to us within a day or two's ride!! There are two MAJOR Interstates coming through Knoxville, (I-40 and I-75)

Accomodations are EVERY WHERE especially in Seiver County (Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area)

Plus it's GOD'S COUNTRY!!

We have hosted the Honda Hoot for umpteen years....Would have been here in '09 but the economy bit the BIG one as we all know.....

Come on you lot - make your bloody minds up!

I'm trying to plan a trip over to the States next year (bringing the bike) and I need to know where to go..........

North East would be handy - got family (the in-laws) in Maine

I guess we have two different threads with ideas. I know I've already put my opinion on one. I am in agreement with Colorado. I was born there and have ridden there some. If you haven't ridden the San Juan Skyway, then you are certainly robbing yourself of some of the most beautiful 14ers in the country. I've heard Idaho has some gorgeous mountains as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Tennessee either. I know that I don't want anything to do with 90 and 100 degree humidity. Colorado has more mountains in one state then any other state in the lower 48 (as far as 13ers and 14ers are concerned). Plus Colorado is not a humid state and the temperatures are barable in the summer. I would have to vote for Colorado. Sorry guys but I think the North East region has too much traffic. Even more so then Colorado.

COLORADO! COLORADO! COLORADO!