Sign in to follow this  
Fire n Ice

What to expect weather wise at the National Meet

I have received a few questions as to what to bring for clothing for the National Meet. Generally, this part of Montana will be hot and dry the end of July. Temps will probably be in the mid 80s to mid 90s and maybe higher down in the valley. I would not expect rain but would not completely rule out an afternoon thunderstorm. The ride on Saturday will go from the valley at approx 3200 feet to the top of the pass at nearly 11,000 feet. I have been in Red Lodge when it was in the high 80s. By the time we got up the pass were were in a snow storm and I was considering turning around....it was cold and we were getting wet!!! On the trip back down from Cooke City, it was beautiful and the sun was shining the rest of the day. I would recommend bringing chaps, a warm coat and some gloves. We will be stopping at Vista Point on the way up. If you are getting cold or if it looks like there may be some weather coming in you can add clothing as necessary. Just use the same plan for clothing that we natives use.....Plan for the best and pack for the worst. See you in July. 8)

Hmmmm. When I am packing up in 110 degree heat, it will seem odd that I would put in cold weather gear. I have neglected to plan for the weather in the past and paid the price. Glad I read this post. Thanks.

Sir you are doing one helluva job putting this thing together. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend but I needed to say that. :y:

Thanx,

jb

Well dang Jim...ya better get busy and order up some perfect weather. Time is growing short...

Wow! Glad I came across this thread. I'm not sure where I can carry heavy clothes on this trip, but it's almost guaranteed that running over that mountain is going to give temps in the 30s, the 40s at most. With wind chill it may feel like 25 degrees!

But it looks like a great, long ride on Saturday.

Current forecast only goes until next Tuesday but pretty consistent. For Billings highs in the mid to upper 80's and lows in the upper 50's to low 60's. Cooke City highs are running in the upper 60's to low 70's. I would expect the pass temps to be in the 50's probably low 50's.

Hey folks, I stumbled across this tread and may be able to provide a bit of help. You may not need too much bulky clothes.

If you have a heated vest or jacket that can help, but I have discovered that putting on long johns, jeans, a warm pullover or lumberjack shirt over a turtleneck or tee shirt with a dickie under your leather jacket and chaps can cover quite a range of temperatures if you can partially unzip your jacket or if it has vents. The big secret is that even if it is not raining or snowing, just cold, put your rain gear over everything including your leathers it will hold in your body warmth and keep the wind out.

I have a rubberized canvas bag I keep all my rain gear in with my dickie lumberjack shirt and an electric jacket and electric gloves that I can strap to my luggage carrier on my little bike or put in the hard bags on my TC. I have driven in temperatures down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7 Celsius) for up to an hour with this technique and the only extra equipment I used were goggles and a bandanna to cover my face, but a full face helmet would have been better.

It is always nicer to ride when it's warm, but mother nature is obviously a woman and she will change her mind and be supper pleasant or scornful when you least expect it.

I had somebody suggest I take two of everything and I had to remind them I was on a motorcycle, not in a cage. But there's always room for some extra socks. Funny thing is I picked up a few cooling apparel items to battle the summer heat, and now I have to think about the possible chill factor in the higher elevations. Either way, this is gonna be fun.

I'm just afraid you southern boys are going to get up here in this 15-20% humidity, dry out, shrivel up and blow away. Then there's the elevation difference. Air's a bit thinner here and wait till we're at almost 11,000 feet!!. Gonna be GREAT!!!!! How many times have you had to pack an oxygen bottle for a ride? ;)

I was just looking at a long range weather forecast for Billings on the meet weekend. As of now--and this is a week before, so weather predictions that far ahead are pretty dicey--the forecast calls for rain showers with much cooler weather--in the high 70s, 15 degrees cooler than it's been lately. The weather map shows a big weather front moving into that part of the country, cooling things off and bringing thunderstorms & showers.

Here's the forecast Thursday through Sunday, July 30 - August 2...

Thu

Jul 30

Partly Cloudy

Hi 75°

Low 54°

Chance of rain 10%

Fri

Jul 31

Partly Cloudy

Hi 78°

Low 53°

Chance of rain 10%