Sign in to follow this  
kenweezle

Anyone Planning to go to Spirit Lake

Me and a friend are planning to go to Spirit Lake for the American Vistory Rally in August. Anyone else going? We are going to do a SaddleSore 1000. From here in Birmingham all the way there-1070 miles, no trailer, just 2 guys on 2 bikes! Any tips? We haven't taken a trip like that and just want to make sure we are prepared. I am on an 07 Hammer and he is on an 07 Jackpot. I" already got a Camelbak for Hydration and we got some bags that we are going to alter to fit behind, neither have backrests. Got a small toolkit put together as well as a plug kit and some CO2 inflaters. ANy help is appreciated. :blnk

Guest Guest

Have you planned your route yet? If you post your route you might be able to hook up with others as you get closer. We have a group leaving the Des Moines, IA area Friday morning. If you plan on being in the area, let us know and you could join us. We will meet up with a group from Omaha, NE and ride in as a group. It usually ends up being around 20 bikes or so.

Guest Guest

You're already prepared to stay hydrated, good, dehydration can sneak up on you and muddle your reactions. Take some ibuprofen with you..your backs will get achy. Stop and walk around a bit for 5 minutes every 100 miles or so to get the kinks out and the blood flowing. You might not think its necessary, but it will help more you'd think. If it's hot, and it will be, eat a bannana or take some potassium supplements to repalce what you lose to avoid muscle cramping. Take a cell phone and have a towing service on retainer. Maintain a high state of situational awareness and stay safe. See you there...have a good ride.